Wednesday, December 3, 2008

skit #14: his pouty lips they could not read

KCPX On-The-Minute News televised live footage of a fireman climbing a ladder. It stretched above to some indefinite zenith, revealing no reference how high he'd ascended. Up and up, the camera panned. The ladder's height reached perilous heights seen only in amusement parks. Up and up, to the top of a flaming building, fuming like a matchstick to the landlubbers below. KCPX News-Chopper-3 blades chopped louder than the inferno, louder than his boots marching rung-over-rung, louder than his ingenuous voice, louder than his sweat spattering on the cement sidewalk many floors below. The KCPX news van broadcasted snippets of Firefighter Brandon Bronson's walkie-talkie transmission:

... we got a 10-77 ...
... stairwell engulfed with flames ...
... ladder cause they're stuck ...

... everyone else evacuated ...
... reports received indicate a middle-age woman with child on the ninth floor ...
... no problems resuscitating and evacuating ...

The camera held poor focus on the hero's face, disappointing the concupiscent housewife demographic -- KCPX's most faithful segment in the local broadcast market. Firefighter Brandon Bronson climbed up and up, now just a point on a line. Viewers knew nothing of his brawny muscles they could not adore, his candid words they could not hear, and his pouty lips they could not read.

The cut button was pressed occasionally:

I dunno, Denton. I wish I could pick my own color suit, something red like in the cartoons. And something less itchy, maybe cashmere underoos. My Ma says I look great in those longjohns my Auntie got me. Is that wh-- hey, shut up.

Hang on, Denton.


Man, Denton, yer missing out. This is the life. Two bedrooms, full-range gas stove. The countertop looks like new granite. Very tasteful.
She says she pays like $500 a month. And she is gorgeous. Yow, she probably set this ol' shack on fire. You know, because she's so h-- oh, you already got it? The kid is cute too, he's got this whole Dennis the Menace thing going.

One sec, Dent.

Ma'am? Are you alright? Well -- no, ma'am. Well, I had to perform CPR. Sorry about the bra, ma'am. Why, yes, firefighting does keep me in good shape. Here, just wrap your arms around my waist. Yeah, tighter. I can take care of your son, too. Little scamp. Joey, huh?


Say, ma'am -- oh? Say, Irene, do you ever get lonely on the 81st floor all by yourself? At the top of the ladder, I felt so far away from everyone else. It doesn't matter who's rescuing who, sometimes I just need to feel close to someone to feel safe.

Oh, I just thought that -- husband? Yeah, I know there's a fire and everything, it's just that, you know, we were getting to know each other. I-- sorry, Irene. Sorry, ma'am.

An awkard silence ensued for eighty-one floors, nine-hundred-odd rungs, Denton feeling lonely all the while.

No comments: